Monday 7 November 2011

My love affair with Liverpoool FC


I was quite naive to football back then. Had no idea about football, its players, clubs, teams apart from the general ones like David Beckham, Arsenal, Manchester United, Brazil, Ronaldo, Zidane to name a few. I met a few people who were football fanatics, use to see the crowds, the craziness they exhibited over football, religion called football, largest fan base, brawls over clubs etc. and started watching some random football games. Than there was one such random match I was watching. It was Champions League. I had known that the best teams in Europe play in Champions League. Those were late night matches. The match was between an English Club Liverpool and Italian Club AC  Milan. Due to the general popularity of English Clubs in India, I supported Liverpool. The match started, and within the first minute, AC Milan scored a goal. And within the half time, the pre match favorites and the reigning Italian champions were 3-0 up against Liverpool. Liverpool showed moments of brilliance, but the solid defense of AC Milan did not let through any goals. But, there was something in the club Liverpool, that still made me support them, in a near impossible match to win.The second half started and the Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard scored a goal and it was madly cheered by the crowd. The match went on.. and all of sudden, Liverpool bravely fought back to score 2 more goals, and in a span of merely 7 minutes, they were on par with the mighty Milan! I was so happy, cant describe. Though I was no way acquainted with the team, still I felt a feeling of belongingness to the team. It was after tha I started knowing more about Liverpool FC and football in general. I saw almost every match that was telecasted of Liverpool as well as other teams.

I did not realize, over a period of time, my acquaintance with Liverpool turned into love, gradually passion and now it has become more of an obsession. I still wonder how this affair grew. I guess there is something in the club that is very powerful. Apart from the Champions League in 2005 and a FA cup in 2006, Liverpool has not won any major trophy over the years. Still, it is one of the most followed club in the world. When the club had been to Malaysia tour in a pre season friendlies, the stadium was jam packed just to watch the team practice! it was mad during the actual match there. Liverpool fans are also voted as the loudest fans in the world, Liverpool fans are also known to be very dedicated, supportive and loyal.

Another thing that I simply love bout Liverpool is the club song which is almost become synonymous with Liverpool and a matchday tradition... "You'll never walk alone".Here is the song:

Here is fans singing You'll never walk alone during a match: 



Another aspect that I like about Liverpool is its tradition. It was established in 1892. It has seen so many ups and downs, so many great players have donned Liverpool jersey as a player or manager including Shankly, Rush, Dalglish, Fowler, Owen, Garcia, Baros, Callaghan, Wheelan, Alonso, Rafa, Lidell, Gerrard , Carragher... endless list. 18 league titles, record 5 European cups and dozens of achievements. Liverpool is also closely associated with the Beatles band, Former Tennis no1 donned the famous red shirt on the court.

One of the biggest factor for my love of Liverpool is the great Bill Shankly, the famous Liverpool manager. One of the greatest person who you will come across, one of the biggest contributor to the heritage of Liverpool FC as well as big reason of the success and stature of Liverpool FC. His famous quotes include:

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

"First is first. Second is nothing."

I seldom miss any Liverpool match. I dance with joy when Liverpool wins, get frustrated & highly irritable when we loose or draw, I bought the famous Red jersey for myself as well as gifted it to one my very close friend (and a Liverpool devotee) from my first salary after internship, have a Liverpool scarf, a huge Liverpool FC poster with "This is Anfield" (the Liverpool home ground) and Liver bird Liverpool logo, annual Liverpool calendar (gifted to me by my friend) and few Liverpool badges. I spend watching Liverpool FC club site and dozens of other related sites hundreds of times daily looking out for all possible updates. The affair never ceases. It is only as if my affair has just started. These are merely words. I still feel that I have hardly expressed anything of my love for LFC. Infact, that feeling is indescribable. I am left curious how and when did this happen. I feel that the affair has turned in to a commitment that whatever I do, there would be only 1 love for me, one religion, one club.... one Liverpool FC!

"You'll Never Walk Alone."



5 comments:

  1. The best thing about any FC - its fan base... I have my reasons too, so GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the article... YNWA buddy... The jersey you gifted me is one of the best gifts i ever received...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Brother love liverpool too. And in my 17th Birthday, he gave me a lady T-shirt of Liverpool.
    Hi..its me Habibah. How was your Trip back to India? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Habibah. My trip was nice.How are you doing. Can you send across your email id.

    ReplyDelete